How to prevent hair loss?
For most of us, our hair is what makes us feel beautiful and attractive. Hair loss can be distressing, anxiety provoking and can be devastating to your self esteem in extreme cases.
It is quite normal to lose 50-100 hairs a day and this is usually not noticeable because new hair is growing in at the same time. Hair loss occurs when new hair does not come in to replace the lost strands.
The most common cause is hair loss related to heredity and aging. It presents itself as bald spots at the crown, thinning hair and a receding hairline. Certain hormonal changes related to conditions like childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems can cause temporary or permanent hair loss. It can be a side effect of medications used to treat illness such as cancer, high blood pressure, heart conditions among others. Scalp infections and irritation also contribute to hair loss.
Regardless of what is causing your hair loss, it is important to have the right attitude and understand what is under your control to prevent its progression.
Follow these tips to preserve your hair and prevent further hair loss
- Avoid crash diets
- Eat a balanced diet with plenty of leafy greens, colorful fruits and vegetables, protein rich beans and lentils.
- Use a mild sulfate free shampoo to wash your hair about 2-3 times a week.
- Avoid tight and pulled back hairstyles that can cause stress and tension at your hair roots.
- Use good quality scalp serums and oils to massage your scalp and boost circulation to the hair follicles.
- Reserve heat styling for special occasions.
- Avoid chemical treatments such as perms and if you choose to color your hair, ask your hair stylist to use products without ammonia, peroxide, or para-phenylenediamine (PPD).
- Focus on stress reduction.